I have had an exciting day today working with a small group of year 5 and 6 pupils who have been left behind whilst their classmates have gone on a residential to Buckden. Readers will know that I have long wanted to get schools involved in tree audits so today we started one. We identified that we wanted to photograph the trees, their leaves and possibly their bark, that we wanted to measure their height and their age. We didn’t want to cut the trees down so we came up with a number of ways of estimating these. Data was collected whilst avoiding fox poo, frogs, brambles and the occasional drop of rain. A table was designed in a spreadsheet to do the calculations for us, databases and books searched to identify the trees and posts written to the class blog. Finally, we managed to create some QR codes to point to the class blog. These will be laminated and fastened to some of the trees. We also hope to further edit the blog to add more information as we research the trees.
We still have a long way to go as there are a lot more trees and information we can research but the pupils enjoyed themselves and hopefully learnt a lot. We also have a mystery tree so if you have the time do please please visit their blog and see if you can help or leave a comment.